Facebook went public in May 2012, starting its first day of trading on a messy note. However, as trading took off, more than 80 million shares changed hands in the first thirty seconds and the day ended with Facebook’s stock price rising 0.6% from its IPO price of $38.
The company didn’t have it easy when it made its debut on the NASDAQ, however, the company soon showed potential to register strong revenues and earnings growth, and investors responded by sending its stock price upwards. Facebook’s stock price has soared more than 75% ever since its IPO in 2012.
Facebook’s revenues, having increased at a three year CAGR of 58.7% now stand at $7.8 billion. The company generates a bulk of its revenues (90%) from advertisement, while the remaining 10% come in from virtual payments and other sources.